One day plein air workshop with award winning gallery artist Ellen Howard
Time & Location
About the Event
Ellen's painting workshop is open to all levels of painting experience. Students will focus on simplifying shapes for better compositional design, how to capture the mood of the day through the effects of light and shade elements and how to improve color harmonies. Students will work with value studies in the beginning and then work plein air the rest of the workshop.
9:00 am - Students will meet at Curated for a warm beverage.
9:30-12:00 pm - Morning demo by Ellen Howard on Capitola Beach
12-12:30 pm - Lunch break
12:30-3:30 pm - Students will paint and Ellen will be on hand to assist.
3:30-4:00 pm meet back at Curated by the Sea to have a glass of wine and a short critique by Ellen
Materials List: Below is a list of materials you will need to bring to the workshop. If attending an all-day class, plan to bring a sack lunch or purchase your lunch– see below for more information.
· Portable easel
· A number of smaller canvas panels 8x10, 9x12 or 11 x 14
· Container for washing brushes
· Turpenoid or Gamsol
· Paper towels and small trash bag
· Brushes-a variety of flats, brights and/or filberts. Sizes 2, 6, 8, 10...2 each, if possible. (I use brights & filberts)
· Sketch book and a couple of pencils.
· Oil paints:
- Cadmium medium Yellow
- Yellow Ochre
- Cadmium Orange
- Ultramarine Blue
- Cobalt Blue
- Transparent red oxide
- Cadmium Red
- Aliz. Crimson
- Sap Green
- Viridian green
- Cadmium green
- Titanium White, large tube
- Dioxazine Purple
- A couple of browns are ok too
- Gamblin-light, medium and dark grey for value studies (small tubes)
Other optional items: Water, Sunscreen, Hat, Camera, Portable Chair
- Painting with Ellen Howard$100$1000$0